This page contains a list of publicly documented known issues for AppSignal integrations. If you're experiencing any of the listed issues, please follow the described fixes or workarounds. If none are documented, please contact us at email@example.com.
- AppSignal for Ruby gem versions 2.1.x
- AppSignal for Elixir package versions 0.10.x - 1.x.x
- In combination with hosts running libc, not musl libc (Alpine Linux). macOS is unaffected.
In version 2.1.0 AppSignal switched to an agent built against the musl libc implementation to support Alpine Linux. Adding support for Alpine Linux we switched our agent build over to musl libc. A DNS issue was fixed in musl libc version 1.1.13, which we included in the next releases of AppSignal integrations.
In Ruby gem version 2.1.1 and Elixir package version 0.11.3 we also tried to fix the known "ndots" DNS issue by hard-coding the DNS servers as a temporary solution. This caused problems with setups that use an private internal network that does not allow outgoing DNS requests.
- No data is being received by AppSignal after an upgrade of our integration to one of the affected versions.
- No data is being received by AppSignal after an infrastructure change.
- In our log file,
appsignal.log, timeouts are being reported.
- The application's host is running a non-musl libc system, anything but Alpine Linux.
/etc/resolv.confconfiguration file contains entries that contains more than four dots, e.g.
namespace.namespace.cluster.two.local. This is true for systems that use kubernetes and similar systems for infrastructure management.
- The host's (private) network does not allow outgoing DNS requests. You can
test this by running
dig @18.104.22.168 NS push.appsignal.comon the host.
No known fix available at this time.
We're reverting the hard-coded DNS servers in future releases for our Ruby gem and Elixir package. This won't fix the musl libc "ndots" bug, but we will provide a configuration option for the DNS servers if an application runs into this problem. This allows a local DNS server can be set manually if musl libc can't read the DNS configuration of the host.
The first workaround is to allow outgoing DNS requests from within the private network for the machines that have AppSignal installed.
If allowing outgoing DNS requests doesn't work, revert back to an older AppSignal integration. Recommended versions:
- AppSignal for Ruby gem: 2.0.6.
- AppSignal for Elixir package: 0.9.2.
Want to help us improve this documentation page? Create a pull request